10 Feb Honey-Sweet Onion Ribs
This sweet-tart and slightly spicy sauce is finger licking good on Millgate Farm Heritage Berkshire Pork ribs. It definitely tantalizes the taste buds. Serve the ribs with charcoal grilled vegetables, a tossed green salad and crusty bread. It also makes great pulled pork when using a bone-in pork shoulder roast from Millgate Farm. Rub the shoulder roast with the rub, then put in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes until well browned. After browning, put roast in a slow cooker with the sauce and let it finish cooking overnight.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
2 hour, 10 min
- 3 TBSP Brown sugar, packed
- 2 TBSP Paprika
- 2 TBSP Garlic powder
- 1-2 TBSP Black pepper, coarse grind or substitute 2 TBSP Millgate Farm Steak and Berger Seasoning.
- 2 tsp Cumin,ground
- 2 tsp Dry mustard
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3 1/2 to 4 lbs. Millgate Farm Heritage Berkshire Pork loin back ribs
Remove the thin membrane from the rib side before applying the rub. Cover and chill for 2-24 hours.
- 1 TBSP Vegetable oil
- 1 Onion,medium,finely chopped
- 1 Tomato sauce, 8 oz. can
- 1/3 cup Beer, regular or nonalcoholic
- 1/4 cup Ohio Honey
- 2 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
- 2 TBSP Vinegar
- 3 TBSP Reserved prepared rub
- Prepare the rub, stir together brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, pepper, cumin,dry mustard and salt.
- Reserve 3 tablespoons of the rub, sprinkle remaining rub over both sides of ribs, rub in well.
- Place ribs in a baking dish, cover and chill 2-24 hours.
- Prepare the basting sauce to brush on ribs for the last 5 minutes of grilling.
- To prepare sauce, heat oil in saucepan over medium heat.
- Sautee onion in hot oil until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce, beer, honey, Worcestershire Sauce, vinegar and reserved 3 tablespoons rub.
- Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until sauce is reduced to 1 1/2 cup.
- Set sauce aside while grilling pork loin back ribs.
- To prepare grill, place medium hot coals around a drip pan. (For a gas grill, preheat to medium hot, adjust for indirect cooking and roast ribs in a roasting pan).
- Place ribs, bone sides down over drip pan.
- Cover and grill for 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours or until ribs are tender.
- Brush ribs with sauce the last 5 minutes of grilling.
- To serve, cut ribs into portions.
- Pass the remaining sauce and extra napkins!