05 Oct Grassfed Beef Stroganoff
Traditionally made with tenderloin, this stroganoff uses the more flavorful tri-tip. Wonderful over egg noodles or rice.
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
- 1 ½ lbs Grassfed Tri-Tip or Flatiron cut into 4-equal pieces
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 lb button mushrooms (such as cremini or white field) cut in quarters
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion chopped fine (about 1 cup)
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 4 tsp flour
- ⅓ C + 1 tbsp white wine or vermouth
- 1 ½ C beef stock
- ½ C sour cream
1. Allow the meat to come to room temperature and pat dry with a paper towel. Season with 1 tsp of the salt.
2. In a small bowl, combine 1 tbsp of the white wine or vermouth with the dry mustard, sugar and ground black pepper until smooth.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Just when oil begins to smoke add steak pieces and brown on all sides, 6-9 minutes (an internal temperature of 125 degrees) Set meat aside and return skillet to heat.
4. Add the mushrooms, onion and remaining 1/2 tsp of salt to the pan. Cook until liquid from mushrooms is mostly evaporated and vegetables are brown, 10 min.
5. Add tomato paste and flour and cook, stirring constantly for 1 min. Stir in wine/vermouth, stock and mustard mixture. Scrape browned bits (fond) from bottom of pan and reduce heat to medium.
6. Simmer for 4-6 min or until sauce has started to thicken. While the sauce is cooking cut steak across the grain into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Add meat to sauce and cook for 1-2 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream. Serve with egg noodles.