25 Apr Smoky Braised Berkshire Pork Shoulder
The subtle blend of flavors will leave family and guests saying "Wow, this is good" as they reach for more sauce. The hint of smoke comes from two ingredients so you don't have to start up the grill to create the flavor. This can be prepared in a Dutch Oven or in a crock pot. Either way, it is delicious. Serve it with sweet potatoes and green beans. Freeze any left over sauce to enhance a soup or gravy.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
4 hour, 40 min
- 5-6 lb. Millgate Farm Heritage Berkshire Pork Shoulder Roast
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds, crushed or gound
- 1 tsp Cinnamon, ground
- 1/8-1/4 tsp Cayenne
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper, freshly cracked
- 4 tsp Smoked salt
- 2 TBSP Cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 3 TBSP Canola oil
- 3 Onions, chopped
- 7 Garlic cloves, smashed
- 2 cups Orange juice
- 3/4 cup Cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 4-6 cups Chicken broth or stock
- 3 oz Dark chocolate bar (optional) 62%-65% cacao
- Parsley, Italian leaf, snipped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To brown and season the roast: Place the shoulder roast on a baking pan.
- Mix together smoked salt, smoked paprika, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon and pepper.
- Rub the meat with the spices, using them all.
- Sprinkle with 2 TBSP unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Place the roast in the hot oven to brown while preparing the rest of the ingredients.
- In a large Dutch oven heat the oil, add onions and garlic, cook for 2 minutes.
- Mix the orange juice, cocoa powder and 3-4 cups stock.
- Remove roast from oven when brown, reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
- Place browned pork roast in Dutch oven.
- Deglaze the roasting pan with some of the chicken stock, pour pan scrapings over roast.
- Add remaining liquid to completely submerge pork, add more stock if necessary.
- Place covered Dutch oven in 300 degree oven to braise for 3 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours or until fork tender.
- Remove braised pork from Dutch oven to a serving platter.
- Shave dark chocolate on pork (optional).
- Strain liquid, return to Dutch oven, boil uncovered over high heat for 10 minutes to concentrate flavors.
- Slice pork, sprinkle with parsley, serve.
- Pass the sauce.