20 Oct Pomegranate Braised Beef Cheek
This is an incredibly tender and delicious way to prepare cheek meat. The butternut squash is a perfect balance for the pomegranate reduction. Serve with a simple green salad and balsamic vinaigrette.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
3 hour, 45 min
- 2 lbs Millgate grassfed beef cheek meat
- 1/2 C Flour
- 4 TBSP Vegetable oil
- 1 medium Onion
- 1 Carrot
- 1 stalk Celery
- 2 C Dry red wine
- 2 C Pomegranate juice
- 1/2 tsp Dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp Dried thyme
Butternut Squash Puree
- 1 large Butternut squash
- 1 TBSP Butter
- 1/3 C Heavy cream
- Salt & pepper
- 1 Pomegranate optional
- Trim any excess fat from the meat and pat dry. Season with salt & pepper and roll in flour. Shake off excess flour and set aside.
- Chop the onion, celery, and carrot. Heat half the oil in a heavy oven-proof pot over medium-high heat. Brown the meat on both sides in two batches to prevent crowding and set aside.
- Add the chopped vegetables and remaining oil to the pot. Cook over medium heat until vegetables are soft and the onions are translucent, about 6 minutes. Add the red wine, one cup of pomegranate juice, herbs and return the meat to the pot. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover and place in a 325° oven for 3-4 hours or until tender.
- About 90 minutes before serving, cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place face down on a baking sheet and roast in the oven with the meat.
- When the squash is tender, scoop out the flesh and mash with cream and butter. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
- When the meat is tender, remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Return the pot to the stovetop. Add the remaining cup of pomegranate juice to the pot and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced by half.
- Serve each portion of the cheek meat with a scoop of butternut squash purée and a ladle of the pomegranate sauce. Garnish with pomegranate seeds to add color and texture (optional).