02 Dec Millgate Beef Stock
This basic brown stock is a foundation for soup, brown sauces and consommé . It is also used in slow-cook beef recipes and for braising vegetables. A cup of this steaming hot broth is welcome on a cold wintery day as a comfort food.
- Prep Time :
- Cook Time :
- Ready Time :
4 hour, 35 min
- 3 lb. Millgate Grassfed beef shank
- 3 lb. Millgate Grassfed beef soup bones
- 2 Carrots, medium size scrubbed, quartered
- 2 Onions, medium size peeled, cut in half
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 Celery stalks cut in half
Tie the following in cheese cloth for an herb bouquet
- 1/4 tsp Thyme dried leaf
- 1 Bay leaf
- 6 Parsley sprigs fresh
- 2 Garlic cloves unpeeled
- 2 Whole cloves
- Brown the beef shank, soup bones, carrots and onions in a 450 degree oven using a shallow roasting pan. Turn occasionally to brown evenly in 30-40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, place browned ingredients in a 8-10 quart stock pot.
- Carefully remove the fat from the roasting pan.
- Add 1-2 cups water to the roasting pan, scrape to loosen all browned material and add to stock pot.
- Add cold water to cover ingredients by 2 inches.
- Over moderate heat, bring to a simmer and skim any impurities that rise to the surface.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or until all impurities have been skimmed.
- Add Salt, Celery and herb bouquet.
- Maintain very slow simmer (a bubble or 2 comes to the surface) for 4-5 hours, add boiling water as necessary to keep the ingredients covered by 1 inch of water.
- To finish, strain the stock into a bowl. Reserve the meat for soup.
- Let the stock cool before covering to refrigerate.
- When chilled, remove the solidified fat from the surface.
- The stock is now ready for immediate use or can be frozen for future use.